The effectiveness of a microneedling treatment is highly dependent on patient cooperation. In order to maximize safety and efficacy of treatment, please adhere to the following:
- Face should be clean and free from makeup, creams, and perfumes.
- Medicated Creams (such as glycolic, tretinoin, and retinols) should be stopped 5-7 days prior to treatment. Accutane is contraindicated for 6 months prior to microneedling.
- No sunless tanning, tanning beds, laser treatments, or sun exposure for at least 24 hours prior to treatment. It is recommended that you wear an SPF of at least 30 during the weeks approaching your treatment. Actively burned or sun-damaged skin must be allowed to heal prior to undergoing microneedling treatments.
- Areas of active breakout may not be treated.
- If you choose to add PRP (platelet rich plasma) for additional collagen stimulation, please be sure to drink plenty of water in order to be as hydrated as possible for your blood draw.
- A topical anesthetic cream will be applied for 15 to 20 minutes prior to the treatment.
- The microneedling device contains a group of small needles at the tip of that glide over the skin in order to create a controlled wound in the skin, which heals itself and subsequently and stimulates collagen.
- A post treatment mask will be applied in the office or provided to you for use at home.
- Immediately after treatment, your face may appear as though you have a moderate to severe sunburn and your skin may feel warm and tighter than usual, especially when microneddling is combined with PRP. This is normal and will subside within 1-2 hours, with most people experiencing full recovery within 24 hours. On occasion, with more sensitive skin types, these symptoms may last up to 3 days.
- Do NOT use any active skin care products (retinol, glycolic, vitamin C, etc) during the first 2 hours after treatment. Your provider will prescribe post-procedure skin care to help soothe, calm, and protect the skin. These gentle products should be used for at least 3 days. Active skin care treatment products may be resumed after day 3.
- Makeup should not be applied for 12-24 hours after the procedure.
- SPF of greater than 30 with physical blockage (zinc or titanium) should be worn at all times.
- No swimming, exercise, or strenuous activity for 24 hours after treatment.
- Do not touch your face as this may increase the risk of breakouts while channels remain open.
- Sleep with a clean pillowcase overnight and clean objects like your phone and steering wheel with alcohol.
- Please remember that a series of treatments will be recommended for optimal results.
Please don’t hesitate to call our office at (203) 303-7170 if you have any questions or concerns.