The effectiveness of Chemical peels is highly dependent on patient cooperation. A high rate of exfoliation and cell turnover is taking place, whether physical peeling is visible or not. In order to maximize safety and efficacy of treatment, please adhere to the following:
- Face should be clean and free from makeup, creams, and perfumes.
- Medicated Creams (such as glycolic, tretinoin, and retinols) that increase photosensitivity should be stopped one week prior to treatment. Accutane is contraindicated for 6 months prior to chemical peels.
- Actively burned or sun-damaged skin must be allowed to heal prior to using chemical peels.
- Minor stinging may occur,but should not last longer than a few minutes.
- A fan will be provided to improve tolerance.
- The skin may appear as pink, red, tight, tingling, and/or with a warm or slightly burning sensation.
- Please wear SPF of at least 30 and avoid sun exposure while skin is peeling.
- Post procedure peel kits are advised and available for purchase in office. The basic kit includes PrivaRx Gentle Cleanser, Ultra Lite Moisturizer, and Sunscreen.
- Refrain from exercise for 24 hours after treatment.
- Avoid picking, scratching, or pulling the peeling skin, as this may increase the risk of post inflammatory hyperpigmentation or scarring.
- You may resume glycolics and retinols 10-14 days after treatment or when sensitivity completely resolves.
Please don’t hesitate to call our office at (203) 303-7170 if you have any questions or concerns.