IPL is indicated to treated browns and reds on lighter skin tones. Our handpiece is approved to safely treat Fitzpatrick 1-3 skin tones. Please review the following skin type descriptions to predict whether you are likely a candidate:
- Type 1: White – always burns, never tan (Celtic)
- Type 2: White – usually burns, difficult tan
- Type 3: White – sometimes burns, good tan (Mediterranean)
- Type 4: Olive – rarely burns, easy tan (Asian, Latin)
- Type 5: Brown – very rarely burns, easy tan (East Indian)
- Type 6: Black – never burns, very easy tan
The effectiveness of IPL is highly dependent on patient cooperation. In order to maximize safety and efficacy of treatment, please adhere to the following:
- It is critical to avoid sun exposure, tanning beds, and sunless tanning for at least 6 weeks prior to treatment and for one week after. Please plan your treatments accordingly.
- Medicated Creams (such as glycolic, tretinoin, and retinols) that increase photosensitivity should be stopped one week prior to treatment. Accutane is contraindicated for 6 months prior to laser treatment.
- If you are taking antibiotics, you must postpone your laser treatment until they have been completed for 10 days.
- No chemical peels or other resurfacing skin care treatments for 2 weeks before and after laser treatments.
- Lotions, creams, makeup and deodorant need to be removed prior to treatment as they can obstruct or refract laser light.
- Topical numbing cream will be offered to maximize comfort.
- A cool gel will be applied prior to treatment to assist with glide of the applicator tip.
- Immediately after treatment there may be mild redness and itching at the treatment site, which may feel like a sunburn and persist for 24-72 hours.
- Apply ice in 15-20 minute intervals for the first few hours after treatment to reduce any discomfort. PrivaRx Aloe Cort may also be applied for comfort as needed.
- Makeup may be used immediately after treatment unless there is blistering.
- Brown spots will darken over the period of a few days and eventually shed within 2 weeks.
- Avoid sun exposure for a minimum of one week and wear SPF daily.
- Gently cleanse the treated area and pat dry for 3 days. Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin. Do not use any chemical or mechanical exfoliants until 7 days after treatment.
- Remember that a series of 2-4 sessions are typically recommended for optimal results.